new plan taking suggestions

More
15 years 9 months ago #5243 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic new plan taking suggestions
Hi,

There's a few things that I'd like to consider, WRT the mid horn. Two actually. Efficiency and dispersion. The dual 8" has to manage to keep up with two horn loaded 15s. That is not going to be an easy task in that size. Martin got around it by using a single horn loaded 15" on their flagship W8L. It's now not a classic symmetrical LA, but you can hear it does the job well.

Here it is (burton manor link): www.burton-manor.co.uk/images/Audio/Linearray/martin.gif

That brings me to the second point. Dispersion. Martin use a classic line array dispersion which works nicely for large arrays. Turbo use a different one which allows them better performance in smaller areas with their flex.

I've got some ideas on approaching the potential issues. But what size array are you going for?

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• b52productions
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 9 months ago #5245 by b52productions
Replied by b52productions on topic new plan taking suggestions
currently im limited to 4 boxes "2 per side" but i just want to make sure i leave myself open in the future for expanding..
for indoors 4 stacks of2.. stacked on a pair of tuba 36's
foroutdoors 2 stacks of 8.. with tubas centerd front stage

this is the overall goal for this project.

my music content is mostly dance/techno/drum n bass.. all pretty much overkill on the baselines and kicks. thats the reason im looking for the single box w dual 15's.

with 4 stacks i should be able to cover any indoor venue i come accross i would think since i am in oklahoma lol.

thanks again
d.

Edited by: b52productions

• b52productions
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 9 months ago #5247 by b52productions
ok here's a quick redo..

horn is not loaded right i dont think but its my idea of new driver arrangements keeping same outside dimensions.
we could used bnc 8pe21 drivers www.parts-express.com/pdf/294-652.pdf Edited by: b52productions

More
15 years 9 months ago #5248 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic new plan taking suggestions

Deadbeat wrote: The dual 8" has to manage to keep up with two horn loaded 15s. That is not going to be an easy task in that size. Martin got around it by using a single horn loaded 15" on their flagship W8L. It's now not a classic symmetrical LA, but you can hear it does the job well.

I concur with Deadbeat about how the Martin W8Lssound. Check out the ones in Fabric (London)and you'll see what I mean.

They also use "donut" phase plugs on their mids, which lifts the response up a bit without the nastyharsh sound you get fromsome 6.5" mid horns.

And (I think) the tweet horns are done using FEM.

Cheers, John

Ars est celare artem

More
15 years 9 months ago #5249 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic new plan taking suggestions
They do sound good (the ones in Fabric are as well). I've yet to hear one where someone has really screwed it up. EDIT for idiocy.

I think they are as well. Martin seem to be using that quite a bit with a lot of their new products, like the Omniline.

d, I'll do a paint sketch of what I had in mind and post it later.

Edited by: Deadbeat

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

• b52productions
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 8 months ago #5257 by b52productions
new update with approx dimensions. need someone to sim if they can

More
15 years 8 months ago #5261 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic new plan taking suggestions
I'm sorry but I don't like this drivers' placement. There's a lot of wasted space. The horn for the 8" driver could straight like selenium, the throat could have the same driver area, so we can correct the expansion with a phase plug. So with this mid horn we can reach 200 hz to 2000 hz (not so flat response) but the throat isn't so wide, we have the space to place the compression driver horn.
But I think these are secondary aspects, because we have a lot of possibility to model the mid horn.... so imho we have to model a dual 15" bass horn. In order to do that I'm gonna calculating the eminence kappapro 15 lf's cone volume and the magnet volume to choose most efficent loading.

Edited by: bitzo

• b52productions
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 8 months ago #5262 by b52productions
so where would you sugest we put the compression horn driver at so they stack nicely?

and

i only have subs listed in 1 and 2, the others would still need to be purchased.

More
15 years 8 months ago #5264 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic new plan taking suggestions
yup! you got it. So could you make some measurement on your 15" woofer?
I need the evx-155's height and the diameter, cone depth. I'm thinking to reverse the woofer something like the stipe esbph but with 2 15" drivers sharing the same throat.

• b52productions
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 8 months ago #5265 by b52productions
this is the pdf file
www.audiozeman.cz/soubory/EV/EVX-155.pdf

as far as cone depth i would have to remove my driver from the box so that might not happen till after x-mas.
i havent seen the esbph can you send link or post a pic.

we still keeping the outside dimensions the same right.. i just got some birtch waitn to get cut and put in the garage lol

if scale is correct in the pdf then this should be ballpark
Edited by: b52productions

Time to create page: 0.305 seconds