104db@1w/m Cabinets

More
13 years 10 months ago #10342 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets

Xoc1 wrote: Paul

Only problem with most of the tapped horn designs is their lack of high frequency extension, you need a 12" mid or bigger to meet their upper frequency limit (for the cubo 18" this is quoted as 110hz).
The ES18BPH bandpass horn design will give a higher frequency bandwidth, but is really suitable for larger rigs, think Turbosound & Funktion one!

The Martinssons 15" TH can be crossed as high as 150Hz and sound pretty good when doing so. Mine are happy crossing to my twin 8" mid-top box.

The Cubo looks like a tapped horn variation to me anyway, same as the Beyma designs.

Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mngati
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 10 months ago #10347 by mngati
Replied by mngati on topic 104db@1w/m Cabinets
November Projects: 4 x (Cubo 18 & ES18BPH). The cubo 18 looks smaller and I had something like that for my inferior HP-18W with x-max =2mm but Qts=0.32. That's before I learned from this site. My first project I built the MS-18MkIII and hosted the HP-18W: I knew what to expect: VERY POOR THROW, not comparable to C15-500LF. A good example of building a cab for the right driver parameters.

Last weekend I had 15 events in three day. Desperation asked me to put the HP's back inside MS-18MKIII cabs, mounted the cab sides down and played them at lowpass in an enclosure. The less informed were very impressed with what they thought was JBL. This is regrettable but I'll get a good driver for these cabs.

Paul
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds