My summer project. Your thoughts, views and ideas.

More
13 years 8 months ago #10773 by Mikey
Hi there. I’m new to this forum and what great forum it is. I hope this is posted in the right place.

I’m thinking about making a stack/rig in the summer and would like your thoughts, views and ideas on my project.

I plan to build 4x 1850 folded horns and 2x x – tro cabinets to sit on top of them.

Each two speakers within the cabinets will have their own separate amp and graphic eq for full control and to control the main signal to the amps a limiter will be used.

The two bottom horns will be tuned to low bass and each upper speaker tunes to the upper frequencies.

Will the four horns and two x – tro cabinets be good enough to give me the full spectrum of frequencies or will I need additional cabs to fill in the rest? Is this a good set up of cabs to making, any better options?

The rig will be used for house, trance and techno music.

I want to get everything right before I build the system so any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks Mike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #10774 by saul

Mikey wrote:
The two bottom horns will be tuned to low bass and each upper speaker tunes to the upper frequencies.

unsure about this quote..... smiley5

just run the 1850s from 45- 90hz and the xtros from 90 up

they'll work fine for that music type - tried and tested

More
13 years 8 months ago #10775 by Mikey
Thanks mate, so the amount of speakers will be good enough for the job? Wont need any additional cabs?

Many thanks Mike

More
13 years 8 months ago #10776 by pisshead
Build the 1850 horns with 2 x MT122 instead. I personally think you wont need the 15'' in the xtros.

More
13 years 8 months ago #10779 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic My summer project. Your thoughts, views and ideas.
+1 on not needing the 15".
What about stacking height though? Need to get the mid tops high enough.
Perhaps an SMT212 on top?

More
13 years 8 months ago #10782 by Mikey
Hi

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. So your saying I won’t need the x - tro's, will they be overpowering the subs or too bassey? Not enough kick maybe? Could you explain why I wouldn’t need them please.

As in height, with the x - tro's they would give about the right height. Really good for the odd outdoor event.

I'm interested in the MT 122 but would like them to be stacked the other way round though. The SMT212 are pretty cool too, can be set up in a half moon shape. Decisions decisions...

Mike

More
13 years 8 months ago #10785 by jsg
Michael,

You can put your EQ before the crossover, you don't really need a seperate EQ for each channel. OTOH if you get one of the digital "loudspeaker controllers", it will be able to do your EQ and limiting as well, kind of a one-box solution.

Why not come to the meet that is planned for Jan/Feb? Your ideal system may not be there, but there will be plenty of stuff to look at and discuss.

Cheers, John

Ars est celare artem

More
13 years 8 months ago #10824 by Mikey
Hi John

Thanks for the reply and I hope everyone has had a good Christmas.

The meet sounds pretty cool, can imagine I will be a kid in a sweet shop there! Where do you hold these meets and is it just set up rigs and play music? I live in Dunstable, Bedfordshire.

With controllers, would it control and eq each section of all the amps or would I need more than one?

Hope you can help, thanks.

More
13 years 8 months ago #10832 by pisshead
Micheal, 1 controller will do everything for you. Very simple. 1850 horns for techno/trance will rip your head off. No need for kick bins.

More
13 years 8 months ago #10837 by Mikey
Sweet as! Thanks mate, bring on the summer!

Time to create page: 0.286 seconds