• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #10924 by levyte357
Martin Brother (Martin Audio Copies) was created by levyte357
forum.speakerplans.com/martin-brother-au...opic21028_page4.html

This is what happens when a big company goes to China with full specs, plans. Gets them to make a few hundred cabs then pulls the plug for some reason. What the company gonna do? Bin the plans? This whole debacle has cost Martin greatly as far as ive heard.

Mikey is right, the build on on these cabs is spot on. i saw some a couple of days ago in a local PA dealer. They weren't for sale just been obtained with a shipment of their own stuff from China. Even the drivers LOOKED the same. Whether they sound the same is another matter!

I was at Martin audio today and I asked what had happened about this situation and was really surprised to be told there was nothing they could do about it because none of the Martin audio stuff was patented? so they have now modified the entire range of stuff they make and applied patent's to the lot!
Sorry to drag the thread from the grave but thought some of you might be interested!

www.martin-brother.com/

Has anyone from UK tried some of these with replaced drivers?

Also in terms of SPL and sound quality from 170hz up, how would 3x "authentic" W8Cs compare with 3x MT121s loaded with quality 12" & B&C DE85 ?

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 8 months ago #10928 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic Martin Brother (Martin Audio Copies)

levyte357 wrote: Also in terms of SPL and sound quality from 170hz up, how would 3x "authentic" W8Cs compare with 3x MT121s loaded with quality 12" & B&C DE85 ?

A real W8C horn is designed to start and end a bit lower than MT121. So if MT121 is getting 170-1.6, then W8C would probably do 130-800 in the same scenario. The original design was the W8, which had 2 lo-mid horns and was over 3 feet tall. The doubling up made the mid horns go lower and louder, making them suitable for direct coupling with subs, for a no-kick-bin system. And it really worked, the old system in MelkVeg sounded lovely. I have doubts about the W8C, I've had them sounding nice by following Martin's instructions, but would wonder whether the single low-mid unit could get strained by too much "kick" energy in 100-150 range. I think the W8C was demand-driven: people didn't want to faff about with big tops boxes any more.

The horn design is subtle, using (as it seems to me) an oversize throat to allow a shallower flare rate plus some 1/4-wave, and a flat phase plug to pick up the high-end just far enough to meet the hi-mid channel but no further. Depending on how "authentic" your cabinets are, if this is not made exactly right the thing will just honk.

Of course you could use a midrange bandpass like I have with my TYs, but I don't think you're into bandpasses. Perhaps I can design you a midrange scoop?

Ars est celare artem

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #10931 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Martin Brother (Martin Audio Copies)

jsg wrote: Of course you could use a midrange bandpass like I have with my TYs, but I don't think you're into bandpasses. Perhaps I can design you a midrange scoop?

Nice bit of background there, jsg... smiley32

I'm personally bored of separate mids & kick.

What myself, and apparently a few others would like, is additional trap 15" BPH section to MT121, that will do 80-160hz @ average 103db sens.

More
13 years 8 months ago #10932 by jsg
Replied by jsg on topic Martin Brother (Martin Audio Copies)

levyte357 wrote: What myself, and apparently a few others would like, is additional trap 15" BPH section to MT121, that will do 80-160hz @ average 103db sens.

I wonder if you could put the 15 in the top of the cab, behind the tweeter, and have its output go around the sides of the 12" horn? So that the narrowing caused by the sides of the 12" horn would be the throat of a bandpass horn with the 15"? With such a narrow bandwidth requirement you might just get away with it.

Ars est celare artem

• levyte357
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 8 months ago #10936 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Martin Brother (Martin Audio Copies)

jsg wrote:

levyte357 wrote: What myself, and apparently a few others would like, is additional trap 15" BPH section to MT121, that will do 80-160hz @ average 103db sens.

I wonder if you could put the 15 in the top of the cab, behind the tweeter, and have its output go around the sides of the 12" horn? So that the narrowing caused by the sides of the 12" horn would be the throat of a bandpass horn with the 15"? With such a narrow bandwidth requirement you might just get away with it.

How difficult would it be converting TMS2 to trap cab?

More
13 years 8 months ago #10941 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Martin Brother (Martin Audio Copies)
lev, I want to have some play with akabak...so width e depth are the same of mt121 trapped version for sure, how much height do you need?

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds