What to run under MTH 30's

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #11126 by MAutopsy
What to run under MTH 30's was created by MAutopsy
Looking for advice, I run 2 MTH 30's per side along with Eminence loaded Mid tops. Need sub, but not sure what i should build as i dont want to overpower the rest of my system. I have considered Stapier's mini and Micro scoops, and also Mykey's Rhino. Am i going in the right direction with scoops or should i look at folded horns?
Thanks,
Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
13 years 7 months ago #11127 by
Replied by on topic What to run under MTH 30's
personally i would use reflex subs and do away with the mth30's. they are a nice sounding and efficient box but useless below 55hz. a twin 15" or 18" would cover the lower end and the range of the mth nicely.

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #11128 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic What to run under MTH 30's
i have considered that as well, but the people like them, and they seem to be a selling point for my system. Looking into a tapped horn design, but i gotta figure out how to take it from hr to a cab design. will post my plots in a new thread

More
13 years 7 months ago #11165 by nrpinc
Replied by nrpinc on topic What to run under MTH 30's
I would go with standard reflex as well unless you plan on running multiples of the horn enclosures. Unless you plan on running at least 2 horn loaded boxes per side you will be better off with a double 18' reflex box per side. Run them up to about 80-90Hz and then let the Eminence mid boxes come in. What style box and Eminence driver do you have?

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #11168 by MAutopsy
i purchased the PE knockdock kit and and am using kappa 12a's and some older EV 1"Cds. Those are powered by a peavey 1600 bi amp. Not much. These are replacing my Electro voice s1503er's (which are like 25 years old).

More
13 years 7 months ago #11171 by xcn
Replied by xcn on topic What to run under MTH 30's
How about the CB-18 posted on www.freespeakerplans.com/index.p ... f=7&t=1132
Should run well from 40Hz up to about 130-135Hz. Probably as much punch as a dual 18" reflex cab. Just my opinion.

More
13 years 7 months ago #11172 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic What to run under MTH 30's
Why use 2 boxes when 1 will do? Why not just build a larger tapped horn that will do sub as well?
The Martinsson 15 goes plenty low enough for me (>35hz) and works well up to 150hz. Output in the lower ranges is at least as good as any twin 15" reflex I have built or heard.

Tony

More
13 years 7 months ago #11173 by nrpinc
I checked out the specs on the PE box, loaded with the Kappa12a will play 70HZ-1.2K flat then roll off 3db from there. You should have no problem playing them form 80-90 sitting on top a double 18 reflex box.

• MAutopsy
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
13 years 7 months ago #11176 by MAutopsy
thanks nate, Was that ported?
And i'm gonna go ahead with a single cubo 18 with the mth30's (until i sell them), then probably build more Cubo's

Tony, Already got the mth30's built and loaded is the problem.

xcn- I have considered the cyclops, but not sure if i can run the eminence delta in there and get decent response

More
13 years 7 months ago #11181 by nrpinc
The double 18 box would be ported. If you are talking about your mid high box, I ran the sim as a ported boxed tuned to 60hz.

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds