High End-ish Coaxial Floor Monitors

• DeVille
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 6 months ago #11822 by DeVille
High End-ish Coaxial Floor Monitors was created by DeVille
Forgive me if this post should be somewhere else.

I’m looking for advice on building a full range, flat response single 12” coaxial or triaxial floor monitor for vocals and guitar.

I’m using a Fractal Audio AXE-FX guitar processor, that marries well with a good FRFR speaker system because it simulates guitar amp, cab, and mic audio coloration and properties. However, to get the sensation of a loud amplifier sitting next to you I would like to have the ability to achieve 130db or higher without going into complete speaker breakup / distortion. I would rarely see playing in drop tunings (below 82 hz), but feel the capability to go down to 55-60hz relatively flat, would be an advantage. On the high end, anything over 17k hz is probably overkill.

The rig is QSC driven 550w/channel stereo, so I’ll probably build a pair of monitors. I am leaning toward passive crossovers as I don’t really want to lug an extra power amp and crossover, although I have an amp and an analog active stereo crossover, without and time/phase adjustments. I also think I would like to keep weight down if possible, so I’m thinking neodymium magnets.
I would solicit your advice on specific drivers, if anyone has such experience, or which parameters you may feel is most indicative a good to best speaker component for this project.

Components I’ve been reading about but have no firsthand experience with include:

Beyma: 12XA30Nd or 12XC30

profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/12XA30Nd.pdf

profesional.beyma.com/ingles/pdf/12XC30.pdf

BMS: 12CN680 or 12CN860

bmsspeakers.com/cone-speaker-com ... cer-intro/

bmsspeakers.com/cone-speaker-com ... ucer-intr/

B&C: 12CXT or 12NCX or 12HCX76 or 12CXN76

www.bcspeakers.com/product.php?id=167

www.bcspeakers.com/product.php?id=78

Ciare: NDCX12-1.4

oem.ciare.com/it/298/386/prodotti.php

RCF: CX12N351 or CX12N251

www.rcf.it/products/precision-tr ... s/cx12n351

www.rcf.it/products/precision-tr ... s/cx12n251

Radian: 5213b or Radian 512/2BC (which includes a passive crossover)

www.radianaudio.com/components/c ... s/5312.pdf

My design inspirations are the EAW / Rat Audio MicroWedge 12 and a couple of posts I’ve seen here:

www.eaw.com/products/microwedge/Index.html

the Microwedge uses some sort of Eighteen Sound coaxial driver, model unknown.

forum.speakerplans.com/and-heres ... 35678.html

forum.speakerplans.com/topic25720.html

I would love to hear from pfly to see how his project turned out and to see if he ever changed to BMS drivers.

My first post. Break me in easy. :roll:

Thanks,
DeVille

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds