Advice needed

More
13 years 5 months ago #12243 by theht
Advice needed was created by theht
Hi there FreeSpeakerPlans! Been browsing around the site for a few days after hearing about a cabinet called the Tuba 30. In a band about to start touring and we're getting our PA together while we run the light rig through it's tests and finish up an EP. It's never occurred to me before to build our own cabs. Very Jedi like, awesome!

So, I stumbled across this Tuba 30 idea. Figured I'd research the idea a bit more and stumbled on to this website. Good lord are there a lot of designs. So many in fact that I've become completely lost. So, I figured I'd make my first post. What would you guys recommend?

So far, we've only got an amp for the subs. It's a Crown XLS802 we picked up for $225, nearly brand new!

The music we're working on is sort of an electronic/indi- hip-hop thing with a nerdy and melodic slant. Feel free to check it out at HDninja.com. For the live show we haul along a guitar, a 5 string bass (low b string=62hz), a computer, and a drum kit with it's kick detuned and EQ bumped around 45/50hz.

What I would like is a sub, or pair of subs that will work nicely with the amp we have, and can get punchy around 45/50hz. Occasionally, the band will tour without the, well, band, and cue music from the computer alone. When playing from the computer, the material is a bit more bass heavy, on some tracks, as low as 40hz.

I suppose we're looking for what just about everyone else here is, that is, the most bang for our buck. I'd like to keep construction costs to about $120 or $100 per side, minus drivers. I've been looking at the Delta12 but I understand that the choice in drivers will rely heavily on what cabinet we end up building. I'd LOVE to get some T48's built, but I haven't the faintest idea how we could haul those monsters around, much less afford them.

I've also thought about the MTH30, but am now learning that the Tapped Horn doesn't do well in outside venues. This is the point at which I realized that I've got no idea what I'm doing.

What would you guys recommend?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 5 months ago #12249 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic Advice needed
www.freespeakerplans.com/index.p ... f=32&t=129 [attachment=1:16dcw3ky]<!-- ia1 -->ES-15BLH MicroScoope Parts.jpg<!-- ia1 -->[/attachment:16dcw3ky][attachment=0:16dcw3ky]<!-- ia0 -->ES-15BLH MicroScoope.jpg<!-- ia0 -->[/attachment:16dcw3ky]

Eminence Kappa Pro LF Easy available to you.
Small ish cab.
Attachments:

More
13 years 5 months ago #12292 by theht
Replied by theht on topic Advice needed
Anyone here built these? How do they sound? Would someone be willing to briefly explain what I could expect from these speakers were I to install this driver: www.amazon.com/Eminence-15A-Repl ... B0009H00UO and push it with the Crown XLS802?

Should I be concerned that most sites with this speaker for sale list it as mid bass? Please excuse my ignorance, I've only ever built enclosures for cars in the past and when working with PA, we generally rent the big JBL SRX dual 18s (we need far less power for this gig)

Thanks again!

More
13 years 5 months ago #12293 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic Advice needed
use kappa pro lf, your other driver is a midbass.

More
13 years 5 months ago #12294 by theht
Out of curiosity, is there a reason for Kappa? For instance, if I stuck a JBL 2226H in there, could I expect better or worse results?

If I used a sub (I absolutely do not intend to) designed for car audio I imagine the results would be far worse. Why?

Last question; What sort of information, at minimum, would I look for about a specific driver that would help me answer these questions on my own?

More
13 years 5 months ago #12296 by MAutopsy
Replied by MAutopsy on topic Advice needed

theht wrote: Out of curiosity, is there a reason for Kappa? For instance, if I stuck a JBL 2226H in there, could I expect better or worse results?

If I used a sub (I absolutely do not intend to) designed for car audio I imagine the results would be far worse. Why?

Last question; What sort of information, at minimum, would I look for about a specific driver that would help me answer these questions on my own?

James- Lots of reading and studying will get your understanding better. you need to download the HornResp and WinISD programs and have some time with them. The people on this page are very friendly, but most of the info your looking for is out there. Scoops, to my understanding, require a lot of Xmax. Most of the plans on this site and the other have recommended drivers to use, otherwise you would need to put the cab and other driver parameters into hornresp and have a play. It's not rocket science, but its also not the easiest thing. Welcome aboard smiley20

More
13 years 5 months ago #12297 by theht
Understandable! I'm looking forward to learning much more about how to mathematically predict what a driver/cabinet combination might sound like, the questions above are just to get me started in the right direction so that I can understand the very basics of the concepts involved. For instance, my intuition tells me that a sub designed for car audio would perform terribly in a concert enclosure and conditions. However, I don't understand why. Answering this question will help me learn to broadly categorize subs based on their specs.

The same goes for the JBL listed. I can also easily find specs on that speaker, have used it in the past in JBL enclosures in a concert setting, and was very pleased with the results. However, I understand the cabinet here is designed for a different driver. I have a possibly completely unfounded bias towards JBL drivers and enclosures. I perceive the JBL drivers as high quality. While I suspect the JBL driver would perform alright in the cabinet here, I suspect the Kappa would perform better. I perceive the Kappa, most probably wrongly, as an inferior driver. Learning how the JBL would perform in this cabinet will help me see past my preconceived notions about professional loudspeakers and begin buying for the right reasons. Thanks again anyone reading for your time!

More
13 years 5 months ago #12299 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic Advice needed
Hi James, read the section here in hosted plans on the CUBO 18 there are a number of drivers that will be suitable for this cab. They are compact and work well together in multiples so you can expand for bigger venues.

They are very versatile and would suit the type of work you are doing IMO.

Welcome to FSP. smiley20

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds