HornResp Newbie

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13110 by Reverb
Replied by Reverb on topic HornResp Newbie
Wow.... lot's going on here but I'm keeping up. So far so good.

>>>next is to design the horn its self.......

we will make the mouth (s1) 360.8, this is the height x by the width......

and (s2) 1944, again this is height x by the width........

and con will be 46.3.....

Where did you get the values of 360.8 for (s1), 1944 for (s2) and con 46.3 ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 years 4 months ago #13111 by bee
Replied by bee on topic HornResp Newbie

Reverb wrote: Where did you get the values of 360.8 for (s1), 1944 for (s2) and con 46.3 ?

just a guess to get you going........ the horn mouth, lenth etc can be any size you want. for example the longer the horn is (con) and the bigger you make s2, the lower the horn will play, the smaller s1 is the higher the horn will play.......

More
13 years 4 months ago #13112 by bee
one thing to remember when designing a horn with software, is that the software should only be used as a guide, and the actual horn, when built will be differant when tested with rta equipment. The idea is to try to build the horn and get it to sound and plott as close as you can to the predicted plott of the software.... thats the tuff bit...... lol

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13113 by Reverb
>>>and hay prest there is a very ruff horn design......

now to turn this into a design, you can work back wards,

s2 = 1944 so the horn exit could be 441mm x441mm
s1 = 360.8 so the horn mouth would be 190mm x 190mm
con = the lenth so the horn would be 463mm long........

hope this guide gets you started...... this is a very ruff guide, but if you change con and s1 and s2, you will see how it changes the horn.

Ok Bee, thank you. I will study this tutorial again and again. Just curious, what do you mean by....

>>>now to turn this into a design, you can work back wards ????

Also where did you get the values for s2 (horn exit) = 441mm x441mm ??

and

s1 (horn mouth) = 190mm x 190mm ??

More
13 years 4 months ago #13114 by bee
if the horn was (s2) 441mm in height and 441mm in width and (con) 463mm in depth. with a mouth of (s1) 190mm x 190mm

(s2) thats 441mm x 441mm this = 44.1cm x 44.1cm this = 1944.81cm2 so s2 = 1944.81
(s1) thats 190mm x 190mm this = 19.0cm x 19.0cm this = 361.00cm2 so s1=361.00
(con) 463mm = 46.3cm

say you wanted your horn to be 1000mm x 1000mm and 3 meters long with a mouth of 190mm by 190mm

con would be..... 3000
s1 would be....... 361.00
s2 would be...... 10000.00

to help you see how this is done, after you have clicked on the calculate button, goto window tab, select schemetric diagram, this shows a view of how the horn would look....

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13115 by Reverb
>>>the horn mouth, lenth etc can be any size you want. for example the longer the horn is (con) and the bigger you make s2, the lower the horn will play, the smaller s1 is the higher the horn will play.......

I always wondered how a builder determined the "throat size" ? Are there any books or web sites that explain why a builder would choose to make his horn length, and mouth a specific dimension?

Look at the link below again in regards to the builder that built those wooden multicellular horns. Specifically, look at the piece that connects the driver to the horn. Is that the throat? If so, what were the factors that determined how long/short to design and build the throat that bolts to both the driver and horn?

cgi.ebay.com/ALTEC-1505B-MULTICE ... 6341261465

More
13 years 4 months ago #13116 by bee
yes that bit is the horn throat.....

there are differant ways to work out the chamber size needed, and how big or small the baffle and throat should be..... read up on chamber sizes, baffle, and throat sizes.

there are many types of horn, the one we have just done is 4 sided, but that is just a basic one...... allso read up on horn types

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13121 by Reverb
Posted April 26 time: 00:11
>>>and 5 way
hf
mid
midkick
base
subbase

Two questions in regards to the above please.

1) What is midkick?

2) Assuming for example the frequency range of the cabinets above start as low as 20 hz and go as high as 20k hz, what would be the frequency range for each of the 5 cabinets above?

• Reverb
  • Topic Author
More
13 years 4 months ago #13127 by Reverb
Bee

As a side note, I've been trying most of the day to imbed a picture into my post. I understand I can accomplish this by going to the bottom of the "post a reply" section and then below that there is a section titled, "add new attachment". This works fine but leaves a divider bar titled "attachment". This divider bar is vertically across my post and separates the text part of my post from the picture part.

I'd rather add a picture the way you did when you added the pictures of the Hornresp "input screen" on page 2 of this thread. Your pictures are immediately below your text.

How did you accomplish this? I figured out that if I simply place the url to a website picture in the text area of "post reply" and then highlight the line and click on "Img" in the menu bar that it works fine. But does that mean I have to upload all my pictures to a web host server (which I have) before I can imbed pictures in my post? There must be an easier way.

Thanks

More
13 years 4 months ago #13131 by bee
I use photobucket, I upload images to my account then just copy past the img code, as for the other question ill draw up a detailed list of the freq tomorrow, I'm djing in london at this minute.

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds