My first small rig for festivals/beach parties. Need help.

• hyperionx
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #15266 by hyperionx
Trying to build my first cheap smallish rig for beach-parties, festivals and such. Decided to go with mth-30 for sub-bass. Been looking at mt-130 for mid/top but i havent decided yet.

I'm completely new to this so I have been reading and picking out some parts I like. Here's what I got so far. I bet most of its crap so I need your help. I might even be missing crucial parts of the setup as I have no idea what I'm doing.

My Netbook

M-Audio Fast Track Pro with 2 balanced outputs (¼” TRS)

Behringer CX2310 Super-X 2-Way Stereo/3-Way Mono Frequency Crossover

The T.Amp TSA 2200 Power Amplifier - 2x 590W/8ohm

one mth-30 and maybe one mt-130.

I'm still not sure if I should buy two amps and use the 3-way crossover for sub/mid/top or if I should make a passive crossover for the mid/tops.

Will the stuff I have found be enough to produce audio-waves? What should I add, remove or swap out to make things sound better/more. I'm on quite a tight budget right now which is why I'd also like to opportunity to upgrade with more cabs later on.

Also, I plan to move this crap around alot so weight and efficiency is also a factor as I might be forced to run them off a genny or inverter+batteries everynowandthen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #15268 by nickyburnell
Not sure I'd use that mid top. It's big, how will you stack it, doesn't go that low to meet the sub.

Some sort of reflex 12 + 1" for a portable system, with a pole uo from the sub. Maybe even a 10" + 1".

A nice trap shaped box with high efficency stuff in it. Or even find some JBL JRX112 and change the comp for a nice one.

Use it all mono, one side of amp for sub, one for mid top.

Buy a DCX2496

• hyperionx
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #15270 by hyperionx
Thanks alot for your answer, really appreciate it :)

Havent exactly figured out how to stack them, its just that i really wanted horns. :P I havent seen any curves for mt-130 but I just figured because it said from 120hz and the mth-30 seem to be alright up to 140hz that it might work alright.
But I'm certainly open for suggestions and something smaller is probably a good thing lol. I do however want to build the thing myself. Any plans for something that might suit me?

DCX2496 seems a little bit over the budget tbh, but I'll keep it in mind.

Yeah, it would probably be best to do as you say with all mono and one channel for low and one for mid/high. I guess that means I'll be working on my soldering skills as I'll probably need to make a passive crossover for mid/top, right? Then I'd really appreciate some pointers on where to look for help on that subject. Ideal would be a finished plan for box+crossover so I wont have to think for myself but with some good reading materials I should be able to figure things out.

The other option (im guessing again) would be to buy one more amp and use one channel for low, one for mid and one for high. This seems like something not so cost-effective, but perhaps "easier" for a newbie like me.

More opinions please, and excuse my low knowledge :geek:

More
12 years 11 months ago #15271 by nickyburnell
The reason for the DCX in it SUMS the stereo for you. If you do mono with one side of the amp on tops, one on bass then you split the stereo up and down, not good.
Do a search on Speaker Plans for Opus Joy's special cable to sort this. The DCX IS the best money you can spend, save up.

MT-130 could deal with three of your subs, is is not loud up close, but throws far. It really is not suited to this small system.
Do the reflex tops, any of the Fane Constructor cabs www.fane-acoustics.com/resources.aspx are great for this.
You can use these/these for monitors if your system grows.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds