Setting up my own reggae soundsystem - in need of guidance!

• tuffryder
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #15367 by tuffryder
Hey all.

I´ve been playing records as a reggae selecta together with a friend for several years. Over time I´ve become more and more interested in building my own soundsystem and I´ve now come to the point where I have the cashflow to actually build one.

The places we play aren´t that big (around 150 people) so I don´t think I need ha huge wall of speakers. I´m thinking of building a 3-way system with 2x18" hogscoops but that´s about as far as I´ve come with my plans.

Should I go for 15" or 12" as mids? And what speakerplans should I go for? I´m happy for every suggestion.

And what should I choose for tops? Should I go for a smaller speaker (6-4") or just buy a couple of 1" tweeters? And what plans should I use?

//Tuff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #15368 by levyte357
Would suggest you repost this in the Roots and Culture forum, and ask the Mods to delete this original.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

• tuffryder
  • Topic Author
More
12 years 11 months ago #15370 by tuffryder
Ok. I´ll repost under roots and culture.

Could mod please remove this thread.

//Tuff

• thepersonunknown
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 11 months ago #15502 by thepersonunknown
im posibly not the best guy to respond, but seing as its been a while since u posted ill give u my 2 cents worth.
seeing as the places u play probably wont be that bit i would definetly say to go for 2 x 12 reflex. u should be able to get enough spl out of this and the reflex wil sound good up close and hopefuly get the comp driver up over the heads of the punters.
the 12s will play low enough to meet the hogs and the 15 inch extension will be wasted me thinks. more importantly the 12s will play higher which should allow you to use a 1.5 inch comp on tops rather than 2 inch. a good quality one should sound decent down in the crossover fequencys and still give you that sharp top end i notice is so sought after in the roots scene.
i think what u realy need to aim for is tha have a good amount of power in ur amps to run it all nice and comfortable, especialy on the hogs.
hope that helps a bit
cheers
dave

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds