Need help/tips/pointers with building horn sub

More
15 years 10 months ago #5026 by sjon
Hi!

I've been trying to design/model a sub for home use using a Fane Colossus 15XB speaker ( specsheet ) wich I've got "lying" around at the moment (it's in a 15" scoop I've build decades ago, and have no use for anymore).

I'm leaning towards a tapped horn ( more info here , or here ) because that should give me the range I'm looking for (20hz - 100hz), and it's shape can be easily incorporated into the big whaddayacallitagaininenglish in wich i'd like to store cds and dvds, and on wich I can put the tv. (max outer size can be 280cm wide, 90cm deep, and about 60cm high).

But when I try to model it, I get every result but a flat one, so yes, I'm totally lost, so to speak. All diy sites that I can find wich deal with home use subs don't seem to get past the square direct radiation possibly vented boxes, wich is a direction I don't intend to go, unless as a last resort. And since I've seen some great stuff here, I thought I'd also ask here.

I've got quite a few drawings and charts already, but on another computer wich I can't access right now. I'll try to add them as soon as I can.

If some of you guys could give me some tips or pointers in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. The only "requirements" I've got right now is that the sub should fit the sizes mentioned above (I'd like to put the sub at the back, leaving room for drawers and the like at the front), it has a reasonably straight line between 20 and 100hz, and uses the fane driver. Any help is appreciated... [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Regards,

edit: one last thing, the driver's impedance is 16Ω, and I've only got one, wich is probably the reason I've still got it... [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] The plan was to build eight, but I never got round to that.
Edited by: sjon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 10 months ago #5030 by deadbeat
Replied by deadbeat on topic Need help/tips/pointers with building horn sub
Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

To tell the truth, a lot of home use sites have gotten way farther than we have regarding tapped horns: I'll post a link to the monster (100+ page) thread on designing and making these (it started before hornresp even had a th tool): </span> www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=97674

Few things to keep in mind: simulations will give a higher sensitivity than measurements, the sub will also measure a lot flatter (ruler flat) than sims show.

The 15XB is okay in a tapped horn... try tuning to around 25hz. Remember to model in quarter space for home use.

Beranek\'s law
\'bits of ply round a driver\'

More
15 years 10 months ago #5041 by mobiele
You could use this as a starting point: img15.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=91247...12lo.jpg&loc=loc1012

The simulated big raise in sensitivity around 80 Hz + won't be a problem in practice.

This horn, made from 15/18 mm ply, would be275 x 54 x 54 cm (single 180 degree fold).

Best regardsEdited by: Mobiele

More
15 years 9 months ago #5048 by sjon
Thank you guys! Exactly what I was looking for...

Although I didn't read all 100+ pages on diyaudio, I did get a good push in the right direction. This is what I've got so far using Hornresp:

Although I'm not 100% sure about the input values, it looks a lot more what I'm looking for (previous attempts looked more like the 800-1200hz region above). I'll post the finals and probably some pics when done.

PS: if any moderator's reading this, please move the thread to the General forum, it shouldn't be in Drivers.

Regards,

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds