OMEGA 18

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5516 by COZY PILLOW
OMEGA 18 was created by COZY PILLOW
HI, THERE. I AM INTERESTED IN A BAND PASS CABINET POSSIBLY? I WANT TO BUILD CABS FOR MY OMEGA 18'S I HAVE 2. WHAT TYPE OF CAB WOULD GIVE ME THE BEST THROW. I USE THEM FOR ELECTRONIC DRUMS + VOCALS + BACKINGTRACKS, FROM SMALL VENUES TO OPEN AIR GIGS. THEY ARE IN A PAIR OF VENTED CABS AT THE MOMENT. I NEED THE CABS TO BE LIGHTWEIGHT IF POSSIBLE. HAS ANYONE GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS? smiley20

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5517 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic OMEGA 18
Firstly leave them in the Reflex cabs, they do a broader range of frequencies there.
If you insist on Bandpass
www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=csub
Omega Pro is listed.

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5519 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic OMEGA 18
Hi Nick. Thanks for that I had a look at an X1. the problem is that I don't think that reflex cabs are throwing the bottom end out as much as they should. I was'nt conviced that reflex were the best. I am using an electronic xover at 75Hz and it is inverted. I thought that the X1's might give a bit more throw?

More
15 years 6 months ago #5521 by nickyburnell
Replied by nickyburnell on topic OMEGA 18
Lots of people say X1's throw, lots don't. IMHO no bandpass throws. X1's will destroy your Omegas. You can't tell what is happening in a BP cab, till it's too late. I'd run Relex subs higher than 75, maybe 100ish. Mykeys or Staips mini scoops on the other forum maybe? Realistically you need better sub drivers, then the ones you have can do kick?

More
15 years 6 months ago #5522 by ajw
Replied by ajw on topic OMEGA 18
The bandpass will "throw" further because it is more efficient in the first place so more max'm output. If you want the most out of the Omega try the bandpass.

Yes it is easy to blow drivers in a bandpass but its for exactly the same reasons as horns, you cannot hear the higher harmonic, distortion. I should add you still have to be a bit of a deaf dipstick to allow it to happen smiley5 .

Tony

[email:2pxnki7c]info@forteaudio.eu[/email:2pxnki7c]

More
15 years 6 months ago #5523 by ajw
Replied by ajw on topic OMEGA 18
Dual post

[email:2pxnki7c]info@forteaudio.eu[/email:2pxnki7c]

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5532 by COZY PILLOW
Thanks Guys, I tried increasing the xover to 145Hz last night and it did make a difference. But, It certainly looks like the bandpass is the way forward. On a slightly different note I built 2 reflex cabs for my kappa 15lfs out of spruce ply and the difference in weight compared to birch ply is huge the cabs are approx 2kg lighter. It makes a difference if you lug around your rig on your own.

Is it true that the X1's don't mix well with the HD15's as I would consider building HD15's too? smiley13

More
15 years 6 months ago #5536 by giveortake
Replied by giveortake on topic OMEGA 18

COZY PILLOW wrote:
Is it true that the X1's don't mix well with the HD15's as I would consider building HD15's too? smiley13

Hmm, no ! smiley4 The X1 and HD15 are a perfect match, they are largely used by soundsystem because they perform well together.HD15 are very good on electric drums, and you can use your kappas in them. Don't go for the HD215 route though, they
are way too heavy to handle on your own.

What is your philosophy of life or your creed ?
\"Have a good time, ALL THE TIME\"

Wisdom is better than silver and gold !

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5537 by COZY PILLOW
Thanks for the help. I will build them as soon as I can. I will try to take as many pics as possible and I will post them. I have my own workshop so it's just case of making time. It's been refreshing to find a website with good plans etc. I hope it can continue? smiley20

Time to create page: 0.239 seconds