RE: Peavey Black Widow's

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5547 by COZY PILLOW
RE: Peavey Black Widow's was created by COZY PILLOW
Hi guys, I am a neebie here and on SP. I am reealy impressed with the knowledge and help that takes place here. Could you tell me what cabs you would suggest I build for my friend who has a DJ/Karaoke set up. He has a pair 18" Hysis bins at the moment which are about 12 years old with black widow drivers. I am not sure what the T&S soecs ate on these drivers as they are not marked with model numbers. They are both 4 ohms each.
Would you recommend C subs or horns or X1 or anything else?

Regards, CP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #5549 by ajw
Replied by ajw on topic RE: Peavey Black Widow's
The BW drivers are not highly thought of on this Forum or its darker brother "speakerplans.com".

As the drivers are 12 years old and probably performing nothing like their best it would be better to start again.

What is his total budget as it is very difficult to give advice without knowing this.

Tony

[email:2pxnki7c]info@forteaudio.eu[/email:2pxnki7c]

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5553 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic RE: Peavey Black Widow's
HI Tony, thanks for getting back to me. I think he is prepared to spend what it takes to get a good quality sound. But, does not want to break his back moving cabs around. He has a couple of EP2500 and 1 EP1500 amps (around 2 years old) with an old peavey active xover and a behringer 15 band stereo eq. I am about to build myself 2 X1's + 2 HD15's with my Eminence Drivers. I thought that he might like them?

Cheers. smiley20

More
15 years 6 months ago #5554 by ajw
For something a bit different go to the Beyma website and find the page for the enclosures. There you will find a PDF for the SB18-1 Sub which is designed for their 18P1200ND driver.

This is one of the most advanced 18" drivers available at the moment and being a Neo driver it is of relatively light weight.
This enclosure should give you a wider working range than either the Sub184 or X1 although it will probably not quite have the same extension.
Its maximum output will also be a bit higher than the X1. They also do a version for the 18P1000ND driver which is a bit cheaper.

Tony

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5557 by COZY PILLOW
Thanks for that tony,

I will have a look at that. I have a new account with Adam Hall so I'll be able to get prices for the drivers. I posted a request earlier for a 186 horn cut list. I will build these first for my Omega 18's. I think I might be able to sell them to my friend and use the proceeds to go for the beyma's.

On a separate note, have you had any experience of the beyma 5G40Nd's they are 5" drivers which have a resp. of 90 - 17000Hz. I wondered if it would be possible to use 5 of these drivers in a vertical cab that was very lightweight and with a series and parallel network run them a 4ohms. I thought the cabinet could be a miniture version of a MT102 style without the hf driver throat? or am I just a bit ahead of myself?

Thanks. CP.

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 6 months ago #5558 by COZY PILLOW
Hi again Tony, I have actually looked ath these plans before they look as if they could do what I'm looking for? Do you know of any build projects out there and if there are any pics?

I really appreciate you're time.

Thanks, CP. smiley20

More
15 years 6 months ago #5561 by ajw
There is one guy on speakerplans.com who reckons he has built some. Have a look in the speakerplans.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=24025 on that forum and maybe send him a PM.
Will answer your other question when I have a bit more time as I am just on my way out the door.
Tony

Time to create page: 0.244 seconds