re: what mid tops to use?

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #5878 by COZY PILLOW
re: what mid tops to use? was created by COZY PILLOW
Hi Guys, I am now thinking of building some new cabs to go with my oustanding 186's. I play live music gigs and occasionally do outdoor gala's etc. I need something that will be able to cover 0-2000 people. I play mostly 0-600 clubs & hotels etc. I have two eminance kappa pro 15lf-2's and two kappa pro 15a's and two p-audio 2" bm-d750's at the moment in individual reflex type cabs that I built myself.

Everything is mono from three behringer ep2400 amps and running them at 4ohms or 8ohms a channel or for the larger stuff two amps bridged at 4ohms driving the 18's and 15's as bins with the last two channels driving the 15a's as mids and the 2" comps at 4ohms each I use a behringer cx2310 xover. I vary the xover points as the venue dictates. I have switchable passive xovers in the 15a's and the 2" comps, but I rarley use the passive xovers unless I am in a really small venue with one amp. I also use a behringer fbq6200 graphic.

would you reccomend going for horn loaded mid cabinets? I would prefer to use neo drivers for the mids and stick with the p-audio comp drivers.

I am needing light weight cabs so this is why I thought that individual cabs would be the answer and I could double up for the bigger events. I am considering also selling the 186's and going down the root of Beyma subs and possibly using beyma 5g40 nd drivers. probably 5 per cab to get 8ohms. I have an idea for the design of the cab but I would need help with the figures and horn length etc.

I welcome you're thoughts.

cheers, smiley29

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #5880 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic re: what mid tops to use?
2x12" + 1.4"/2" mid-tops are a very good option for the work you do. They'll work fine for the type of jobs you do and also sit nicely on 186Horns. Personally I would stick with reflex subs and mid-tops.

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #5881 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic re: what mid tops to use?
hi Chris, what style of enclosure would you recommend? I would like to have horn type cabs as I think they seem to sound much louder than reflex cabs. the difference between the 186's and my old reflex cabs is unbelievable. I have heard that the beyma subs are very good for their size and weight? what do you think about a line array style horn cab for mid tops using the beyma 5g40 nd 5" drivers they allegedly have a freq response of 90hz - 17khz? or would they roll off well before the 17Khz or would you recommend a 1/4" or 2" comp to go with them?

thanks for your input.

cheers. smiley20

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds