• bitzo
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #6022 by bitzo
Horn for a 6" advise was created by bitzo
Hi,
I have 15" midrange, it's great from 150hz to 800 hz but I need to cover 800 to 200 hz. Before someone says "it's better a 12" midrange end of discussion" I want to explore other solutions so IMHO a 6" horn should be nice but the only one that I find is the limmer 042. Anyone knows other brand (or plan ;) )?

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #6023 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Horn for a 6" advise
I assume you meant 800 to 2k. a six will do it. If it's a passive system, I'm not sure about horn loading the six, as you have an uneven gain structure when powered up. I did a 15 + 6 +1" passive which works well. A last thought, is your 15 horn loaded. More details need.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• bitzo
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #6039 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Horn for a 6" advise
yup 800hz to 2000 hz, typo :oops:
15"+6"+1" should be so nice.
My 15" mid was an altec voice of theatre, but very customized. I reduce the rear chamber, to 32 litres (hardly damped) , the compression chamber to 3,1 litres (by adding wood filler) and the horn throat to 400 cm^2, the horn mouth measure 3000 cm^2, horn length about 37 cm, it has 4 flares. It's loaded with a pd156 but I want to change with an eminence kappa pro15. Thanks for your interest Tony. Here's a building pic
img521.imageshack.us/img521/3593/image53df8.jpg

More
15 years 3 months ago #6049 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Horn for a 6" advise
Looking at what you have there, I would go for an 8" speaker. Most 6's only have a 38mm coil which will limit power handling. An 8" will get get you a 50mm coil and better handling power. If you want the apparent extended range of a 6"mid, then you would be wrong to horn load it, as the horn will take down the top end. So, you might as well go for an 8 which will go as high as a 6 in a horn and get more handling power. It may also be more efficient.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• bitzo
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #6054 by bitzo
So, ideal driver for this application could be a 8" or a 6" with a 50 mm coil diameter (or higher).
I've found these driver in the six inch category beyma 6mi100 and this 8 inch beast rcf 8mrn301 .
My first idea was to replace the altec 811b horn with 2 6" horns but seeing this rcf monster...only one could be enough....
edit: yesterday evening I played around altec 811 b dimension, I'm modelling an horn for this 8", so in order to minimize the delay between 15" mid and 8"...have the horn lenght should be the same?

• bitzo
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 3 months ago #6086 by bitzo
So I'm gonna start modelling an horn by myself, following the tony advise probably I'm gonna use a B&C 8pL21, the rcf is too expensive but I'm still doubtuful to use a 6" or 8" with large coil. Any suggestion or advice will be appreciated so much smiley1

More
15 years 2 months ago #6090 by chaudio
Replied by chaudio on topic Horn for a 6" advise
8PE21 surely?

The 8PL21 is a discontinued model if I remember correctly.

• bitzo
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
15 years 2 months ago #6137 by bitzo
are you sure?
uff....I have to change all my plan....
My intention is to replace the altec 811b horn with 8" or 6" horn to cover 800hz to 2000hz.............so guys what do you think to load altec 811b with a jbl2426? the recommended xover point start from 800hz....but....could be too fragile? Other choices could be bms 4550 or p audio sd-450n, any feedback about these?

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds