• bitzo
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 3 months ago #8900 by bitzo
Reconing tool was created by bitzo
Hi all,
I've some question about reconing, I read something about glue...but what about other tool?
I mean how can I align the coil to the magnet if the reconing kit don't provide the shimp?
and...have I to clamp the spider ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #8906 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Reconing tool
You can't recone without shims. What's your situation?

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• bitzo
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 3 months ago #8907 by bitzo
Replied by bitzo on topic Reconing tool
thanks for reply Tony.
so...I have to recone a pd915, the recone kit seems unavailable and...I'm not sure to find it with shimp. So this is my first reconing I've seen many vids on youtube but some part are not clear. Some kit don't provide the shimp, so how can I supply it? an then how can I fix the spider to the frame?

cheers, bitzo

More
14 years 3 months ago #8908 by staiper
Replied by staiper on topic Reconing tool
Take precise measure of magnet center-pole (be careful to not hit-ruin your slide gauge when magnet pull it)
and than subtract it from measured dimension (inner diameter) of voice coil.. divide result with 2 and than run around with slide gauge to find some usable material of exact that thickness (or just a little-little bit thinner).. ..cut it in stripes and you have shims smiley1

• bitzo
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 3 months ago #8910 by bitzo
sorry but to me seems pretty empiric and not so accurate....however better than without shimp.

So Have I to clamp the suspension or the spider to the frame?

More
14 years 3 months ago #8913 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Reconing tool
Bitzo, Stipe is saying the same as me, you can't recone without the shims. I could send you some B and C shims. They may or may not fit, but it's worth a try.
Regarding clamping the spider, you don't clamp it. you can use the appropriate glue and then when the shims are in place, you can put a small weight on the the cone. This is enough to hold down the spider on the frame until the glue dries. I usually use small speaker cutout to weight the cone. You should make sure that the weight doesn't press the spider down below the level of the frame.
You could use strips of paper adding to them as you go. You will know when it feels right. That's all I can think of for now.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• bitzo
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
More
14 years 3 months ago #8915 by bitzo
very clear and useful at all. Thanks!
So...because pd915 kit is no longer produced is it a worth try using another reconing kit? Just thinking to find the exact coil lenght and depth, a "compatible" cone and then assembly them.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds