I'm morning A.S.S

• Will Street
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 2 weeks ago #9307 by Will Street
I'm morning A.S.S was created by Will Street
Thought I would post. Must apologise if there are any gramatical mistakes, but one is several sheets to the wind!

I've just got back from an after party at the Opera House, formerly Club Opera or before that the "Polo Club" in the mid 90's based in North London. Now I've always had a soft spot for this place for one reason: They have a lovely A.S.S system made up of 4x MX600's and 8 RX18mk1's for the FOH system plus a relay system very simular.

Now this is the first time I've been to this $hit hole in about 4/5 years. Last time I was there they had a sound man who looked after such a beautiful system and made sure she sang like an angel all night long.

Now tonight I find "Derek" the sound man is no longer as per a couple of years ago and what sounds like they are running this system into the ground!

I've never heard distortion from a MX600 until tonight.
I know this sounds weird but I was a little heart broken! As all 8 boxes were screaming for their life and actutally sounded terrible like they needed saving!

I made Steve the guvnor an offer for the system a few years back and I wish he accepted it as it was for more than she is worth at the time and she would have been treated like a brand new system in my care!

I'm genuinally gutted, but this system was always the jewel of this club for so many as a dj myself and I know many a punter who loved this system for it's power, clarity and finess.

Sorry to rant on and sound like I'm kissing Tony's ass (please excuse the pun :) ), but I fricking adore A.S S cabs and am so sad to see them going to waste playing $hitty grime garage and being thrashed beyond their limits as it saddens me a little!

She is in need of a savour!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 2 weeks ago #9314 by bee
Replied by bee on topic I'm morning A.S.S
put in another offer on them, or offer them a part exchange on some sound labs......... sounds like its what they deserve..... what is it with club land at the mo...... i was in a venue in watford last sat, they had a good martin rig in there but is sounded real bad no low end and the tops sounded muffeled even at the low volume they where being used at. After one pint my ears could not take it, but the venue was rammed, no one seamed to care. then went on to oceana, wtf....... the system was loud but again sounded all top heavey, there was low sub in there but the mid kick was, well missing....... after 3 more pint time to leave. need a fix of a good sound system. On to area The system was better in there but the music was doggy poo, next venue calling, on to home cranked up my home system, opened a beer, and was in a little bit of heaven for the rest of the night. My point is the 3 venues in watford where very busy, its just the average punter, dont care or just listen to poor mp3's that the systems sound good........ I miss the days where a club was about the music and sound. Now its all glits and no substance..... smiley19

• Will Street
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 1 week ago #9384 by Will Street
Replied by Will Street on topic I'm morning A.S.S
Ben I was thinking just that mate, put an offer to him. Thing is it's been in there for about 13 years I think. Maybe if I take some EV SX300's down there and offer to fit them throughout they may take it. Thing is they've recently had a re-fit so I'm guessing the guv'nor still knows it's worth something. Just wish they treated it well.

Yeah your sure right mate. It's all about glitz and glamor. I was in a bar in Romford on the bank holiday weekend sunday and they had Fuktion One F101's and dual 18's in there and ok I'm not a fan of Funktion One gear, but it sounded TERRIBLE! I mean it actually hurt my ears! They were really terrible sounding cabs, ok they were being thrashed a bit, but still. They just seemed to "turn it up!" and let it roll. At one point on the past early hours of Saturday morning in that Oprah house club I had to go tell the "wide boy" dj too back off the mid highs as the MX600's were actually screaming for their life! Gosh knows if they're still using those lovely old PSL amps.

Tell you what mate. It would be my dream to own that setup! 8 x MX600's 8 x RX18's and what I think are MX121RT's on the delay stack under the 4 other MXs. Tell you that system run properly can raise the roof absolutely anywhere. I got Derek to "really" turn it up once with all 8 RX18's running full tilt! All I can say is Void Stasys X eat your fkucing heart out! smiley20

More
14 years 1 week ago #9385 by paulus
Replied by paulus on topic I'm morning A.S.S
we ran 6 rx18s with 4 mx600s for 3 years and every one commented on it,in the end we sold 2 mx600s and the2 still played with 6 bins sweet as a nut,can not imagine them being run badly,with throw like that would take your ears clean out smiley19

More
14 years 1 week ago #9386 by paulus
Replied by paulus on topic I'm morning A.S.S
funny had some mt121rts as well never seen tose cabs any where else before or since just the little 121r reflex
[img

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Will Street
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 1 week ago #9387 by Will Street
Replied by Will Street on topic I'm morning A.S.S

paulus wrote: we ran 6 rx18s with 4 mx600s for 3 years and every one commented on it,in the end we sold 2 mx600s and the2 still played with 6 bins sweet as a nut,can not imagine them being run badly,with throw like that would take your ears clean out smiley19

Yep. I actually had my fingers in my ears at one point! It was SOOOOOOOO fricking loud! But it wasn't a good loud and thats what upset me mate. smiley19

That photo of yours is sex on speakers that is mate. :lol: How did they mate with the MX600's cross over point of about 120Hz at a push?

More
14 years 1 week ago #9433 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic I'm morning A.S.S
As a matter of interest the back stack speakers are BS500's Can't comment on the rest regarding sound, as I haven't been there for some time. Last time I was there, they needed new amps, but wouldn't spend the money. I installed that one myself, but lost interest when they did. I can only advise, I can't spend their money.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds