re: Cabinet Tunning

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 4 days ago #9553 by COZY PILLOW
re: Cabinet Tunning was created by COZY PILLOW
I wondered what was invovled in tunning a cab. Why it needs to be tuned and how it is done? I have tried searching for threads & posts on this but I can't find anything that explains it in detail. Can anyone help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 days ago #9556 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic re: Cabinet Tunning
The basic sealed cab has a very high single resonant peak, which means that when you hit it, the box could have quite a dead spot. The purpose of tuning is to reduce that peak. It's a compromise because you end up with yo smaller peaks. This problem and cure was discovered by Helm Holtz from which the port takes its name Helm Holtz Resonator.
My own method of tuning before computers came about was to use a volt meter connected to the output of an Amp. An audio generator signal was fed into it and the needle would move twice in 2 different places. This represented 2 peaks. I had adjustable ports and altered them until the peaks were level. At that point the cab would be correct.
This only made the box technically correct. It didn't mean that you got thumping bass out of it. Todays method with things like Bass Box, you are able to drag down the bass as far as you want to an acceptable level usually meaning that the 2 impedance peaks won't be level. However, it's the sound that counts.
Before my original method there was the ping pong way. You would alter the ports until you got ping ping instead of ping pong when you listened to the sound from the port, and then you'd get in the old tin bath for a good soak in front of the fire.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• COZY PILLOW
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
14 years 4 days ago #9560 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic re: Cabinet Tunning
so the cabinets resonant peak would be similar to the resonant frequency of the speaker? and would they cancel each other out at that peak? hence the drop in level/output.

Is this one of the reasons why a reflex cab is lees efficeint than a Horn cab?

thanks tony.

More
14 years 4 days ago #9566 by JJD
Replied by JJD on topic re: Cabinet Tunning

This problem and cure was discovered by Helm Holtz

Hermann Von Helmholtz, not Helm Holtz
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_von_Helmholtz

More
14 years 4 days ago #9571 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic re: Cabinet Tunning
Sorry about the gap.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

Time to create page: 0.192 seconds