what do people make of this work...not mine but i paid...

More
14 years 7 months ago #7841 by Tony Wilkes

mykey- wrote: can you handle some more bad news?

.......that's not 13 lam Russian birch, it looks like some samples I got from China

the Chinese are importing birch veneers in from Russia and making the boards themselves, mixing the laminates with poplar core

Recently built a pair of double 12" jobs for a mate who wanted to supply his own wood as he could get the "ply" much cheaper than I could even though I asked him to check exact spec.

You guessed it exactly as Mike has described, bloody horrible stuff to work with as well, full of voids and other foreign objects.

I would have paid the difference for the real stuff myself had I known what a pain it would be. Every open end had to be filled before I could final sand and paint.

They look good finished but give it the slightest knock and you can fetch chunks out!!!

Tony

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #7842 by tony.a.s.s.
There's another board to lookout for. It's made from Eucalyptus. I first took notice because it seemed light, but there are also core issues with it. It's a pain, but the only acceptable boards are the expensive ones. Finnish Birch is the ultimate, although in general, it is slightly softer than Russian or Latvian Birch. All the original TMS series from Turbosound was made from Finnish Birch.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

• crazybwoy23
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #7843 by crazybwoy23
yup i had my doubts about the wood quality ect...will try and get insomnia to comment on this....
its just another issues on top of many issues ...still i have lots of quality drivers amps ect...
so really the box can be replaced ect...
also hope this stays where it can be seen
regards
zippy

• crazybwoy23
  • Topic Author
More
14 years 7 months ago #7844 by crazybwoy23
i have to point this out as it is a cab for a tfl 760 it is not 13 lam as it would not have matched the ones i have from blaka in manchester...
even so all the other probs makes me think the worst ect...
will try and get some photos of the 13 lam stuff ltr so you can see that also...
when sanding some of the veneers were loose also...

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds