Why is here not more successful?

More
12 years 5 months ago #17189 by Jimmer
Replied by Jimmer on topic Why is here not more successful?
Just for the reccord I think what Bruce has done over the last 5 years or so is very admirable and say thanks for hosting it. Its possibly the only forum I now visit daily! It really is a great source of info. I wouldn't be where I am now without it or the lovely folk that post there.
But I dont agree with the way its been handled over the last few days, people were just discussing the matter and threads kept being locked and posts dissapearing with no explanation of what on earth was going on, the attitude stank.
Although Bruce has hosted the forum at cost (possibly not necessary, think we all would be happy to pay our way), he has also managed to build a business around it using sp as the guinnipig, now it seems he has grown out of that and we are no longer needed. Another gripe I have is the moaning about the legal problems that he's been having. How on earth are we supposed to know what goes on behind the scenes if no-one tells us???!!!! I honestly believe that if there were enough moderators then this wouldn't happen as much. JBL-MAN is a star for doing what he does, but one guy manning that size of forum is a joke, why o why didn't they ask for help?

The place needs to be re-hosted by people that care about it. Otherwise this problem will not go away.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 months ago #17191 by Rog Mogale
Replied by Rog Mogale on topic Why is here not more successful?

Robbo wrote: I heard a story yesterday morning from a reliable source before Bruce posted up his angry speech that Void would be involved a lot more with the forum in the future and then seeing Bruces rant seems to confirm this.
Personally, I think that this would be a backward step as it would take the forum backwards in time to the days when it was very biased to Void products and promoting them and every time a negative comment was posted regarding Void gear, then the toys would be thrown out of the pram and threats of closing the site down were mooted

In fact if I remember correctly, it was because of this that this forum was originally set up as a safety net in case the threats were actually carried out.
I think that there are a lot more things going on behind the scenes that us poor members are aware of and speaking from a personal point of view and reading between a few lines, I have a feeling that the situation has been orchestrated with the removal of the for sale section in readiness and part of an agreement made with Void prior to them retaking over the forum as it has always been a well known fact that both Rog and the Void guys have always hated the for sale section as they think that it dominates the forum too much
I could be wrong about it but I don't think that I am far away from what is happening over there.
Anyways, over the last couple of days, I have quite enjoyed it over here--It is a bit daunting at first due to being completely different, but now I can find my way around a bit better, I can see certain things such as plans which are a lot more easily accessible than over on the other side--Cheers--John.

Yes, you are completely wrong on all accounts John.

I saw the SP forum as somewhere to have a chat with like minded people. A bit like why I go to my local pub and sit in a corner with the same friends a couple of times a week. Its great to get things off your chest, check how your sitting in the world, learn more and feel good because you have given stuff you have learn out to others. Everyone wins. Occasionally someone new comes to your group and they either go along with how it is and they become a new friend or they don’t.

I left the SP forum because it wasn’t a corner of a pub I liked anymore. It was becoming and now has become a pub where you sit with your friends and have to shout over aggressive salesmen, dictators with agenda and hypnotic powers and an ever increasing group of people who come just for what they can get. And that’s a bit like someone you meet in your pub that sits next to you, expects to be bought a pint and then walks away with the pint and never talks to you again. I don’t now about you but its not the kind if place I want to be in, so I got out. Yes I did get verbal when I left as it was my last ditch attempt of restoring some decency to the place, but I even gave up with that as I was out numbered.

Void or I has no plans or ever has of controlling the forum. We make over 2500 speakers per month and sell to over 30 countries. You really think we have the time or need to baby sit a few people selling some used stuff.

I take my hat off to Bruce and all the hard work he has done over that last 5 years. I would not have done what he has, in fact I could have but didn’t, so I can never knock the work he has done. I’m totally behind any decision he makes, not that it’s any consequence of mine.

Sometimes to get rid of the devil you have take his tools away. I’m not so sure this place needs a legal team to make the for sale section run properly, but I would recommend a good clergymen before we get……

More
12 years 5 months ago #17196 by robbo
Replied by robbo on topic Why is here not more successful?
Hands up for being wrong with the above Rog and while I also recognise all of the good things that Bruce has done over the last few years, I really feel that the forum needs some strong and serious management by an independent team of mods to avoid problems like what has gone on from happening again in the future(and i sincerely hope there will be a future)
I fully understand what you are saying about the forum in the early days and when I joined up a few years ago, it was a completely different place to what it is now----A place where I could bring nearly forty years of very enjoyable pro-sound experience to the table but things change and forums evolve and that is what has happened with Speakerplans.
As you probably know, I have just retired from the sound business due mainly to things changing drastically over the last two years
I hate most line arrays and digital desks and with failing eyesight as well, I thought it was time to pack it in as I just could not enjoy it any more.
The forum now has a lot more recognised younger pro people participating on there now and maybe it is time for them to take over the reins in order to take the forum forward in the way that it deserves to be taken, but obviously your own rock solid foundations for the forum will always be appreciated by the experienced members
Cheers--John.

• thepersonunknown
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
More
12 years 5 months ago #17245 by thepersonunknown
Replied by thepersonunknown on topic Why is here not more successful?
i think this forum and SP have been created for very different reasons, which may make all the difference to the outcome. but im not having a go. acusations were fired at you rog with regards to your motives in creating speakerplans. i have no idea of the truth, but i will say that whatever you motives were, a lot of good has come from your efforts (realy, how many people can say they have had such an impact, allbeit to a small comunity. i realy think that hatchets should be buried, and learned people should be superlatively more than welcome here, although i think that they should repersent no personal intrest, nor should it be asumed that they do by others. i must say that i was glad to see your post here rog cos their is obviously a load of bad bloow which im sure can be talked through when all partys have the best intentions.

hey if not, one can always appear incognito. people may not wipe the slate clean, but one can always reinvent ones self with success, when they have the merrit.

More
12 years 5 months ago #17281 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Why is here not more successful?
I've seen a couple of comments regarding how easy SP over FSP is regarding navigation etc. Personally, I can't see how one is better than the other. I'm assuming that Mac/PC doesn't make any difference, I use both and can't see any difference. The only thing I would like on here is a larger capacity file size for the attachments. This is, of course, a facility that SP doesn't have. Having said that, I grateful for anything we get here.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
12 years 5 months ago #17285 by robbo
Replied by robbo on topic Why is here not more successful?
Personally, I think it is just because the layout is completely different and at first it does seem a bit daunting because of this Tony.
When this site first started, I found it a little difficult and that is probaly why a lot of the other guys along with myself tended to stick to Speakerplans, but now that I have spent more time on here over the last week, I now find it quite easy and I am now dividing my time more between the two sites---One thing that I find great over here is that it is far easier to find plans for certain cabinets, whereas over on the other side it can be a nightmare and I have pointed this out to them many times but nothing has ever been done about it
Cheers--John.

More
12 years 5 months ago #17287 by muckerbarnes1
Replied by muckerbarnes1 on topic Why is here not more successful?
This forum may not be as succesfull historically.

The future may be very different.

Anyway, +1 Jimmer.

More
12 years 5 months ago #17295 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic Why is here not more successful?
I think, in the comparatively short time this site has been up, it has done very well. But of course the success will only ever be down to the members. I think SP has changed quite a lot in content for when I first joined, and recent events have only served to help FSP. These Forums still have great potential, as they still only represent a small percentage of like minded people in the Industry.
There are many observers on this Forum who don't sign up, and some would be from the other side, who may even resent the existence of this site, and will never join in out of principle. Never mind, in a few weeks when the dust has settled, our FOR SALE section will be buzzing, and only time will tell whether we end up going down the same road as SP. lets hope that doesn't happen.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
12 years 5 months ago #17302 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic Why is here not more successful?

Tony.A.S.S. wrote: Never mind, in a few weeks when the dust has settled, our FOR SALE section will be buzzing, and only time will tell whether we end up going down the same road as SP. lets hope that doesn't happen.

I'm sure it won't.

FSP is free of the bureaucracy & politics that has oft strangled SP.

Flo/'Bomb can administer required changes, in the community interest, swiftly, without fear of clashing with a paymaster's business.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
12 years 5 months ago #17315 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Why is here not more successful?
and this site has never been restricted to software....... the reason people may find this site hard to navigate is the sheer volume of options available, the forum, instant chat, bloggs, plans section etc links, resource section.......... the best bit is the search buttons work lol.....

Time to create page: 0.250 seconds