mt122 loading

More
14 years 6 months ago #8151 by bee
Replied by bee on topic mt122 loading
like this one..... The red line was an actual reading of the mt121 cab with a 1x 12" sn12mb driver, 1X 2" hf driver and 1X 60x40 horn the Black line is an akabak sim of just the 12" horn section loaded with the same sn12mb driver....

This confirms what both tonys say, its close but not the same....... But its a good guide to this driver.......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #8152 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic mt122 loading
I guess the thing that should be taken into consideration is the fact that the non simms reading will be taken in an actual room , so what you end up looking at is the sum total of the speaker response and the room response. when using LEAP to measure, I always used the gated mode which cut out first reflections. This was useful for seeing how much difference the room made. Some of my non gated measurements used to look like the outline of the Swiss Alps.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
14 years 6 months ago #8154 by JJD
Replied by JJD on topic mt122 loading
Psyco:
blue : measured
thin black : sim

More
14 years 6 months ago #8155 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic mt122 loading

JJD wrote: Psyco:

Those graphs look too good to be true. I would like to see some more practical examples from a source I could trust.

Tony

More
14 years 6 months ago #8156 by JJD
Replied by JJD on topic mt122 loading
The graphs were published by Rog Mogale on speakerplans. I've just resize them to match scale. Can't tell anymore about source. I think if the sim is properly done (and it requires a bit of experience) sims are ok. I experienced half horn couldn't be simulated as full horn. It is why the MT121 has some differences between sim and measurement, for example, the low cut which is lower in MT121 measurement.

More
14 years 6 months ago #8158 by tony.a.s.s.
Replied by tony.a.s.s. on topic mt122 loading
One last thing to say and then I'm done. Remember that even if speakers have an identical response between simulation and reality, they may not sound the same. It has always amazed me how little difference in a cone material will cause a change. Although a lot of cones come from the same place, manufacturers do formulate there own mix of fibres. In Seashores analysis of sound, it is stated that a note is made up of seven partials, these being the harmonics that we hear. It's the balance of these harmonics that gives us so many variants in sound. It's also the reason why middle C on a piano sounds different than middle C played on a trombone. My point being, simms will only ever give a rough idea. It won't tell you ultimately what it will sound like in the box.

Peace and goodwill to all speaker builders

More
14 years 6 months ago #8159 by levyte357
Replied by levyte357 on topic mt122 loading

Tony Wilkes wrote:

JJD wrote: Psyco:

Those graphs look too good to be true. I would like to see some more practical examples from a source I could trust.

Tony

Have never heard 1x folded horn cab out play 1x 1850 scoop @ 40hz, not even King EarthQuakes 21" folded horns.

Which is what the graph is claiming.

\"When in Vegas, do as the vegasians do\".

More
14 years 6 months ago #8160 by Tony Wilkes
Replied by Tony Wilkes on topic mt122 loading

JJD wrote: The graphs were published by Rog Mogale on speakerplans. I've just resize them to match scale. Can't tell anymore about source. I think if the sim is properly done (and it requires a bit of experience) sims are ok. I experienced half horn couldn't be simulated as full horn. It is why the MT121 has some differences between sim and measurement, for example, the low cut which is lower in MT121 measurement.

JJD I was not suggesting that you were responsible for the image, I knew exactly where they came from. Have a look at a few more of the graphs on the Void site, some of them make the best studio monitors seem poor.

Tony

More
14 years 6 months ago #8162 by bee
Replied by bee on topic mt122 loading
smiley20 both tonys.... the graph is just to good to be true....... me thinks its not correct or been altered, i.e. by adding a lot of eq etc you can get a reading to look better..... but on a flat reading i.e. no eq this is just to good........

JJD i have simed alot of cabs purly to learn how to use akabak and none have ever come out as a true to an actual reading. Dont get me wrong some are very close to the real reading but not as good as this sim claims........

I think every one that has posted on this thread agrees that a sim programme like horn resp, akabak, basebox pro etc is great to use as a starting point, but when it comes to a real reading there are tooooo many variables that change the sound of the cab..... (room, room temp, amps used, mixer used, cross over units, reflextions, even the weather......

I would love to hear and see that speaker and a reading being taken for my own ears and eyes........... If it is 100% correct then wow....

Time to create page: 0.243 seconds