Cubo 15

More
12 years 6 months ago #16797 by Reality Sound
Replied by Reality Sound on topic Cubo 15
I just built a CUBO 15 and put a peavey low rider 15 in it. Sounded awful just in case anyone else was thinking about trying it. Would a FANE Colossus 15xb be more suited for this cab?
Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 6 months ago #16801 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15
Could you define awfull? Was it Cubo Standard or Extended?

The Colossus 15XB has a higher Fs and slightly lower Qes which could indicate less awfullness when combined, it's not certain though, as apart from that the drivers are quite alike.

If it wasn't awfull but not great either, I would advise to listen to it some more and play with the high pass, low pass and perhaps some in/out of band, all of the above make it more or less awfull in the wrong settings or if absend.

Perhaps you're in the 1% group that dislikes the sound (at least openly), it will grow on you though ;)

Best regards

Cubo

More
12 years 6 months ago #16804 by COZY PILLOW
Replied by COZY PILLOW on topic Cubo 15

Reality Sound wrote: I just built a CUBO 15 and put a peavey low rider 15 in it. Sounded awful just in case anyone else was thinking about trying it. Would a FANE Colossus 15xb be more suited for this cab?
Cheers.

I have said this before I don't beleive that Peavey Speakers are suited to the CUBO design because there are much better drivers out there. Peavey Speakers will sound reasonably ok in their own cabs.

I have built a pair of Cubo 15's with PDN.15SB40's and you would not beleive what these cabs can do with a matrix XP5000 running at 8Ohms per side.

I have also built 2 15" & 2 18" Cubos with Enenence Kappa's and Delta Pro 18's and they were great too but the PDN's are unbeleiveable.

Thanks Again MR CUBO!!!!!

More
12 years 6 months ago #16805 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Cubo 15
totally agree cozy pillow. Ive only played with the 18 extended versions that a built for another forum member, loaded with pd1850's and they are great sounding box's........

More
12 years 6 months ago #16807 by Reality Sound
The peavey low rider didn't have great parameters for this cab, just a good xmax. I put the Fane Colussus in it, sounded a little better, but I'm still not sold. There is no way this thing is getting anywhere near 40hz. Its the extended version..Would the original plan sound better with this driver? Easy cab to throw together. I'm not dissing the cab or design in anyway shape or form, just not hitting any low notes with the two drivers I have tried so far.
Bless.

More
12 years 6 months ago #16810 by Cubo15
Replied by Cubo15 on topic Cubo 15
Are the drivers new or unused? Driver mounted with the magnet in the chamber or in the horn?

What makes you feel that it doesn't reach 40 Hz close enough?

Best regards

Cubo

More
12 years 6 months ago #16813 by Reality Sound
The drivers are well used (broken in) I have yet to put the RTA on the cab (probably tomorrow if weathers good) I'll RTA all the drivers I have kicking around and post results for everyone. I was only able to play some tracks through the cab that I know have 40hz notes. Alot of woofer flapping and no bass at some notes. I was playing <90hz.
Thanks again for your feedback.

More
12 years 6 months ago #16814 by Reality Sound
The lowrider I tried both ways around, the Fane I only put magnet in hole (you can see the speaker) I'll do tests with both drivers both ways.

More
12 years 6 months ago #16816 by col
Replied by col on topic Cubo 15
Hi,

You might be interested in this:

pix.minirig.org.au/main.php?g2_itemId=3688

I tried a Peavey Lowrider 18" in a Cubo18ext. It performed very badly. Sadly, the Peavey Lowriders are only really suitable to BR alignments. I like the Cubo18 though and I'm now saving for a different driver. I'm in Australia, so sourcing drivers is expensive. Going to try a Ande SB18-5 www.andeyinxiang.com.cn/eng/Arti ... icleID=215

I know this is related more to Cubo18 but I think the Peavey Lowrider 15" would be designed with similar BR based purpose in mind. I also have a thread on diyaudio where I was discussing the attempt with others:

www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofe ... signs.html

col.

More
12 years 6 months ago #16821 by bee
Replied by bee on topic Cubo 15
magnet in horn, will play lower...... magnet in hole (chamber) wont play as low but has a warmer tone....

Time to create page: 0.281 seconds